Friday, August 21, 2009

Obrigado!

I don't know where to begin, it's been a pretty jam packed 24 hours, let's start with yesterday a local ATM, I forgot my card and so the machine ate it, I'm glad it did, but I have no access to my bank and I refuse to pay $16 for a temporary card. The troubles continue as I got an email saying Joanne missed her flight...the trouble wasn't her missing her flight but her coming onto my flight...(Andy and Jo took an earlier flight). After landing the dust seemed to have settled after we bought our futbol tickets for tomorrow's game and arrived in time at the hotel for the favela tour (slum tour). Somewhere along the way Andy lost his passport, we arrived home and he started looking for it, luckily they called the driver of the tour and he found it in the backseat. After the tour we came back to the hotel to wash up and go to dinner, we were all anticipating a hungry dinner because we missed lunch inbetween rushing to the tour. We had all you can eat Brazilian bbq, the bbq got the best of us so after just 2 or 3 plates each we slumped in our chairs defeated not by just the salty meat but also the heavy dosed alcoholic beverages. I would tell you stories in between now and when we had the alcohol but all you need to know is Jo and Andy are sleeping, they slept at 9pm.

I've been trying to edit work on my powerbook but the fact that this only has half a gig of ram is a real killer. It literally takes me 8-10 mins to make any correction on a photo. I think I got enough pictures to satisfy my following. I don't think I'm comfortable yet taking pictures, hopefully as I do I will post more portraits. I do want to talk about the favela tour....the slum tour...some of us have seen City of God, and it's not much different from the movie. I was gripping my camera with my life...But they aren't as bad as we thought, colorful and friendly the people didn't seem to mind that we were there. The tour that we went on gives 80% back to the community and to a school that they open, which I think is awesome..especially because I've been reading Three cups of tea(man who opens up schools in pakistan and afghanistan area). Anyway all in all most of the day was productive. I was a little bummed to find out that the seats we purchased for the game was in a safer area, which means not as fun with the crazies in the bleachers... Tomorrow we go on a 5 hour jeep tour through the forest, beaches, and we see the great, Christ Redeemer statue. I think Ada arrives tomorrow morning so we are all excited because i think we're already sick of each other...maybe just me. haha kidding. no really i am. I guess now that Andy has stopped snoring I can lay my head to rest. Ciao!









5 comments:

steve said...

keep it coming!

Caroline Oh said...

hi fred! enjoyyy and hope you take in everything to the fullest :)

tell jo that i miss her!

Shao said...

nice pics!

jeehoon cho said...

the colors in these pictures are great

LeahAndMark.com said...

Hey. Addy sent me over here to check out your photos! Good stuff.